Kaleidoscope is a performing arts company with a difference. We are based in Sussex and most of our classes are in Lewes and the surrounding areas. We are proud to be chosen as the performing arts partners of Priory School due to our high quality teaching and excellent reputation.
We offer a range of weekly Drama and Dance classes for children and adults at Priory School, Wallands School, Lewes New School, Lewes YMCA and at Barcombe Village Hall.
What makes us stand out?
- The quality of our teachers – we always employ highly experienced teachers who are professional performing arts artists/qualified teachers. We have in-house training for our staff, with frequent lesson observations and feedback to develop their practise.
- Our communication to parents – we email and talk to parents directly with show dates and rehearsal schedules etc. so everyone is clear what is happening.
- All of the children in our classes get a part in our performances, not just the same children playing the main parts all the time. Each child is given the opportunity to take on a role suitable for their ability.
- Each project is planned in detail by our staff and our lesson plans are differentiated to take on board the needs and ability of each child in the class.
- We offer the children frequent opportunities to contribute their own ideas to the work, so they are not just told what to do. Kaleidoscope children have a say in the work, they take ownership of it and our teachers help them shape those ideas.
We also offer:
- Arts Award training for students who would like to do it. (UCAS points available for some of the Arts Award qualifications)
- Private one-to-one tuition in Drama and Dance.
- Drama exams for those who would like to do them.
- Inset Days for schools.
- Tailor made, curriculum based Drama or Dance workshops/schemes for schools.
- Directing of community theatre productions.
Bookings are now open for our popular Summer School at Priory School from Monday 28th July to Friday 1st August.
We are currently expanding and we will be offering many new classes at venues across Sussex this year.
Autumn Term Start Dates 2014
Saturday 13th September: Junior Drama, YMCA
Monday 15th September: Drama & Dance, WALLANDS
Youth Dance Company PRIORY SCHOOL
Youth Theatre YMCA
Tuesday 16th September: Drama BARCOMBE
NEW Infant Dance LEWES NEW SCHOOL
NEW Senior Dance LEWES NEW SCHOOL
Adult Contemporary LEWES NEW SCHOOL
Thursday 25th September: Pre-School Creative Dance ALL SAINTS
Friday 26th September: NEW Year 7 Drama PRIORY SCHOOL
Year 8-9 Drama PRIORY SCHOOL
Kaleidoscope have been delivering high quality performing arts classes for over eleven years. At Kaleidoscope we encourage everyone to contribute their own ideas to the creative process and we nurture a team spirit with everyone working together collaboratively.
For highlights of our recent performance of The Arabian Nights at Priory School see below:
News about Kaleidoscope
Kaleidoscope Youth Theatre raise £256 for ChildLine with DNA tour round Sussex Secondary Schools.
Kaleidoscope Youth Theatre toured a production of Dennis Kelly’s gritty play DNA around local secondary schools in April. They also performed a sold out show to the public at Priory School. The profits of £256 from the show were donated to ChildLine. Here is some feedback from the audience about the production:
The students who watched really found the play very powerful. Congratulations to you, the performers and the crew for a really professional production. Keep in touch for future possible ventures. Sue Clarke, Head of Drama, Ringmer Academy.
‘Congratulations on putting together such a powerful production. Myself and my partner, were very impressed with all the acting and it was great watching our daughter perform so confidently’ T. Hunter
‘…it was definitely a lot more grown up than previous shows – like we were watching proper actors, not just coming along to our kids show..’ L. Billington
Youth Dance Company selected for South East UDance 14
Our Youth Dance Company qualified for the South East U.Dance 2014 regional event. Our Dancers will performed a stunning dance choreographed by Tamar Daly at the Harlequin Theatre, Surrey in March. Congratulations to the group.
Kaleidoscope Student wins place at Laban
One of our Youth Dance Company members, Molly Walker has won a place on the CAT (Centre of Advanced Training) at Laban in London. Molly has been doing contemporary dance classes with Kaleidoscope for eight years. On the CAT Scheme Molly travels up to London every Saturday and is taught by professional choreographers. She is hoping to have a career in contemporary dance in the future. We are all very proud of her!
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
In April 2013, Kaleidoscope were commissioned to direct an ambitious community performing arts production in the beautiful grounds of Wallands School. The whole Wallands community were brought together to work on the Bard’s comedy over the Easter holidays and the final spectacular promenade production was watched by a large enthusiastic audience. Children and adults were directed by our artistic director, Deirdre Daly. The production was enjoyed by all and the children had a very positive experience as their first introduction to Shakespeare. Kaleidoscope are planning to direct another community production at Wallands in 2015.
The Arabian Nights – February, 2013
Our whole school production was a resounding success with over ninety young people and children performing this original play at Priory School. See our Arabian Nights page for more details.
Kaleidoscope Summer School 2013
Our 2013 Performing Arts Summer School at Priory School, Lewes was a huge success. Three groups – Infants, Juniors and Seniors had Drama, Dance and Art classes every day. The participants learnt challenging techniques, developed their confidence and made new friends. Each group ended the week by performing their own plays in front of a packed audience. In Art, the groups created their own exciting animations, beautiful costumes, colourful props and imaginative sets, making this year’s shows our most visually stunning yet.
For more information and video clips of our popular Summer Schools please view our Summer School page on this website. We are now taking bookings for our 2014 Summer School. To make a booking please complete a booking form.